
What is a DUP, you ask? It stands for Daughters of Utah Pioneers ( http://www.isdup.org/) . I joined 3 years ago and this year I was elected the Captain for the camp here in Visalia. It is a great honor for me to be the captain at such a young age with so many other more qualified and experienced daughters (that's what we call the members). It is such a neat organization to belong to. My mom is a member and so was my great-grandmother. I love serving as captain and have learned so many things about the organization.
DUP was started by descendants of Mormon Pioneers, but you don't have to be a Mormon to join. You can become a member if your ancestor came to Utah before May 10, 1869 (when the railroad was completed). That means that any of your ancestors who passed through Utah territory between 1847 and 1869 weather because of the Gold Rush, Johnston's Army, as a Mormon Pioneer, worked on the railroad, as a trapper, and many more, can become a member. Even if you don't have pioneer heritage, you can join as an Associate. And even if you don't live near a camp or cannot attend meetings, you can be a Member-at-Large.
Many women would like to learn more about history and family research but don't know they can join. I am especially reaching out to younger women, like myself, so that we can maintain our membership. This year we are learning about the artifacts that are in the DUP Museum in Salt Lake City.
If you are interested, let me know! I can help you with the application papers (super easy to do!). If you are interested in coming to a meeting, we meet on the first Saturday of each month (September-May) at 10am. Our December meeting is a special one. It is our Christmas meeting where we have a regular DUP meeting (lesson, songs, pioneer story) followed by a luncheon. If you would like to attend and meet some really wonderful ladies, let me know and I can give you more details about where and when we are meeting.
I really hope that you will take an interest in becoming a member of this wonderful organization. Check out the website for all the information that you would ever need about DUP!
A woman has strengths that amaze,
She can handle trouble; carry heavy burdens.
She holds happiness, love, opinions.
She smiles when she feels like screaming.
She sings when she feels like crying.
Cries when she's happy, laughs when she's afraid.
Her love is unconditional.
There is only one things wrong with her -
She forgets what she is worth.
Hey Krista! I did't know I could be a Member-at-Large! I always wanted to join but they meet during the week. would you send me the paperwork? I guess I could go check out your link for them... :)
ReplyDeleteIf I get you the application papers, then I get a special pin for bringing in two new members this year. One of my friends joined the my camp. I will bring them in with me at Thanksgiving and we can fill them out together. When you send it in and then get all your membership stuff sent back to you, let me know your membership number so I can fill out the paperwork for my pin. I would love for yout to join!
ReplyDelete