Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Zeek


We started a new Christmas tradition last year. It was a gift from Mike's mom.

A package arrived at our doorstep on December 21st of last year. It was from Santa and contained a story book and a very special elf. "The Elf on the Shelf" was read to our family insructing us about our new little friend. We were instructed to name our elf...to which Colin said we should name him Zeek. He sits around the house watching the kids and they can tell him what it is they would like for Christmas. Every night he flies back to Santa to tell him if the kids have been good or bad and the things that they told him that day. The kids are not allowed to touch Zeek or he loses his magic and will go back to Santa that very day and will not return. Santa has told the elf that he is not allowed to speak to others. Every day when the elf returns, he is in a different spot and the kids have to find him. The elf will return to Santa on Christmas Eve and will stay there until Christmas time next year.

Well, our little friend returned to us tonight and Colin was very excited to see him. I did not think that he would remember Zeek from last year, but he did. It is so cute to see Colin go up to Zeek and tell him what it is he would like for Christmas. If Colin starts to get out of line or is mean to his sister, I just remind him that Zeek is watching him and he stops whatever it is he is doing. Hmmmm...can Zeek stay around the house all year long?
I think this is a great tradition and I hope that Zeek will be with us for a very long time.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition to start! These little things are so important and are what special memories are all about. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun! I like the idea and think it is a great tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute idea. I need a Zeek around my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! How fun, what a good way to get kids to behave!

    ReplyDelete