Monday, May 19, 2008

DMV Fun!


So my birthday was last Thursday. I knew that my driver's license expired this year and I have been anticipating it since the beginning of the year. I always get my renewal notice in the mail. I have only stepped foot inside of a DMV twice in the past 19 years. The first time was when I got my license at 16, and then when I got married and had my last name changed (5 years ago).


So I am running around last Friday with the kids in the car and I get to the bank to take care of some things with DUP (I was just elected the new Captain of the camp here for Daughters of Utah Pioneers). The bank account had to be switched into my name so I could sign the checks. Anyway, the customer service lady asked for my ID and I handed her my license. She looks at it, then looks at me and says, "do you know that your license has expired?" I just completely forgot about renewing it, because the notice always comes in the mail. I guess that since we moved last year the notice was sent to the old address or it was sent to the last address printed on my license which was Castro Valley (where we moved from in the Bay Area).


Needless to say that I couldn't complete my transaction because she wouldn't accept my ID (for what reason I don't know...it is still my picture on the license, and I also have 2 personal accounts with that same bank, she had my debit card with the bank's name on it...why it mattered that my license was current or not I don't understand!).


So I left the bank stepping out into the 100 degree heat with my 2 kids and frantically, but safely and obeying all traffic laws made it back to my house. I was driving on an expired license after all.


So I got ready this morning and even did my hair because I knew they were going to take another picture. I even put on some makeup! That is a rare occurrence when you have little kids at home! Taking a shower longer than 2 minutes is a luxury for me! Mike had to drive me down to the DMV this morning so I could get a current license. I don't know where my head has been! Of all the things that one could forget it should never be forgetting to renew your driver's license. I felt like such a rebel driving on an expired license! So while we were waiting with the kids at the DMV Colin got bored, of course. So Mike handed him the California Driving Handbook. He was reading it! He loved looking at all the signs at the back of the book. We finished our business in the DMV and Colin read the handbook the whole way home. He'll be plenty prepared when it comes time for him to take his driver's test!
I caught him reading the handbook and snapped a shot with my camera phone.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty dang funny! Cute pic! Your new addition is so cute! Hope all is well and sorry I've been horrible about keeping in touch....it's been crazy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are sponges! They eat up everything! One we like to use with our girls is that One of my brothers is "Boarder Patrol" and we tell them that he catches spanish speaking aliens! You could tell them anything and they trust you and believe it!
    Pricless picture of Colin!

    ReplyDelete