Friday, May 23, 2008

Will it Grow?

Don't poop on it, Lola!
Our dirt patch
Colin learned about how apples have seeds. He thinks that if we plant a seed from an apple, it will grow. I think I tried this many times as a child but it never worked for me.
So Colin had an apple for lunch today and I remembered to save the seeds (just two from this apple). After lunch we went to the backyard (still a dirt-patch) and found a nice corner on the south east side. Digging into that dirt was impossible. It has been compacted by a year's worth of seasons. But I didn't want to disappoint Colin so I got out the big shovel and started to jab at the soil. He got in there with his little plastic shovel and did more dirt flinging than digging...but he was having fun. I finally got a hole big enough for the seeds and had Colin place them in. We watered the dirt and covered up the seeds. He helped me water the top of the soil. Then he asked, "but mom, how will we find the tree?" So he proceeds to gather up some rocks and he put them in a circle around the spot where we watered. I took it a step further and made a simple sign, stapled it around a disposable chopstick and stuck it in the ground.
I have to admit that I was pretty proud of my little project for the day. The most rewarding part was spending time with Colin and seeing his little, creative mind at work.
Does it look more like a seed marker or a grave marker??

2 comments:

  1. Visit my blog
    http://SpoturiPublicitare.blogspot.com
    Thank's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that would be fun! You will have to keep us posted on if it decides to grow! Time spent with son...priceless
    I agree!

    ReplyDelete